Cauliflower Broccoli Tabouli
I prepared this at the Season for all Cooks 2015 Edible Education Series http://labellaterre.com/blogs/blog/17102032-a-season-for-all-cooks-the-2015-edible-education-series A fellow from Lebanon commented that it made him think of his grandmother’s tabouli; I told him his grandmother must have liked spiced tabouli since this is an unusual version of the traditional dish.
Cauliflower and broccoli tabouli with pistachios and pomegranate seeds
- 1 large cauliflower, base and leaves removed
- 1 large broccoli stalk (about 1/3 the amount of the cauliflower)
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice (about one lemon)
- 1 large cucumber, peeled, quartered, seeds removed, then cut into 8 strips and diced (about 1 ½ cups)
- 5-6 springs parsley, minced (about ¼ cup)
- 2 spring onions, sliced in thin rounds
- Lemon zest from one lemon
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- [b]Spice and seasoning mix[/b]
- 2 teaspoons coriander
- ¼ teaspoon allspice berries (about 6 berries)
- ½ teaspoon of cumin seed
- ¼ teaspoon of Aleppo chile flakes or red pepper flakes
- ½ teaspoon fine sea salt
- Seeds from ¼ of a pomegranate
- 1/3 cup toasted, salted pistachios
- Cut the cauliflower in quarters. Add the lemon juice to a mixing bowl, then hold the cauliflower by the base and using a cheese grater over the bowl, grate the florets against the larger holes (the grated size should be pieces that are about ⅛ inch). Stop grating if the results look like grated cheese strips and use the remaining stalks for a soup base or to roast.
- Grate the broccoli into the bowl in the same manner.
- Prepare the cucumbers, herbs, onions, lemon zest and add to the cauliflower mixture.
- Grind together the coriander, allspice berries and cumin seeds and toss into the cauliflower mixture along with the chile flakes and salt.
- Add the olive oil and stir well, then top with half the pomegranate seeds and pistachios and give a quick stir then toss the rest on top.
It's about Making Food First
Get Taste Workshop periodic updates on easy ways to choose and cook foods that satisfy your appetite, nurture your body and make eating well a pleasure.